(Christians may do these things in a "spiritual" sense and changing the approach to dealing with justice, but reality is that these laws are for the land of Israel and the times before Christ explained proper Justice and Mercy.) CHRISTIAN DO meditate on these verses, OLD and NEW. Gain better ground at the righteousness in Judgement of the Lord.
Punishment and Restitution
- That the Court shall pass sentence of death by decapitation with the sword (Ex. 21:20; Lev. 26:25) (affirmative).
- That the Court shall pass sentence of death by strangulation (Lev. 20:10) (affirmative).
- That the Court shall pass sentence of death by burning with fire (Lev. 20:14) (affirmative).
- That the Court shall pass sentence of death by stoning (Deut. 22:24) (affirmative).
- To hang the dead body of one who has incurred that penalty (Deut. 21:22) (affirmative).
- That the dead body of an executed criminal shall not remain hanging on the tree over night (Deut. 21:23) (negative).
- To inter the executed on the day of execution (Deut. 21:23) (affirmative)
- Not to accept ransom from a murderer (Num. 35:31) (negative).
- To exile one who committed accidental homicide (Num. 35:25) (affirmative).
- To establish six cities of refuge (for those who committed accidental homicide) (Deut. 19:3) (affirmative).
- Not to accept ransom from an accidental homicide, so as to relieve him from exile (Num. 35:32) (negative).
- To decapitate the heifer in the manner prescribed (in expiation of a murder on the road, the perpetrator of which remained undiscovered) (Deut. 21:4) (affirmative).
- Not to plow nor sow the rough valley (in which a heifer's neck was broken) (Deut. 21:4) (negative).
- To adjudge a thief to pay compensation or (in certain cases) suffer death (Ex. 21:16; Ex. 21:37; Ex. 22:1) (affirmative).
- That he who inflicts a bodily injury shall pay monetary compensation (Ex. 21:18-19) (affirmative).
- To impose a penalty of fifty shekels upon the seducer (of an unbetrothed virgin) and enforce the other rules in connection with the case (Ex. 22:15-16) (affirmative).
- That the violator (of an unbetrothed virgin) shall marry her (Deut. 22:28-29) (affirmative).
- That one who has raped a damsel and has then (in accordance with the law) married her, may not divorce her (Deut. 22:29) (negative).
- Not to inflict punishment on Shabbat (Ex. 35:3) (because some punishments were inflicted by fire) (negative). See Shabbat.
- To punish the wicked by the infliction of stripes (Deut. 25:2) (affirmative).
- Not to exceed the statutory number of stripes laid on one who has incurred that punishment (Deut. 25:3) (and by implication, not to strike anyone) (CCN43).
- Not to spare the offender, in imposing the prescribed penalties on one who has caused damage (Deut. 19:13) (negative).
- To do unto false witnesses as they had purposed to do (to the accused) (Deut. 19:19) (affirmative).
- Not to punish any one who has committed an offense under duress (Deut. 22:26) (negative).
(Exo 21:20) And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
(Lev 26:25) And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.
(Lev 20:10) And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
(Lev 20:14) And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
(Deu 22:24) Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.
(Deu 21:22) And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
(Deu 21:23) His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.
(Num 35:31) Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death.
(Num 35:25) And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.
(Deu 19:3) Thou shalt prepare thee a way, and divide the coasts of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to inherit, into three parts, that every slayer may flee thither.
(Num 35:32) And ye shall take no satisfaction for him that is fled to the city of his refuge, that he should come again to dwell in the land, until the death of the priest.
(Deu 21:4) And the elders of that city shall bring down the heifer unto a rough valley, which is neither eared nor sown, and shall strike off the heifer's neck there in the valley:
(Exo 21:16) And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
(Exo 22:1) If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
(Exo 21:18) And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with his fist, and he die not, but keepeth his bed:
(Exo 21:19) If he rise again, and walk abroad upon his staff, then shall he that smote him be quit: only he shall pay for the loss of his time, and shall cause him to be thoroughly healed.
(Exo 22:15) But if the owner thereof be with it, he shall not make it good: if it be an hired thing, it came for his hire.
(Exo 22:16) And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.
(Deu 22:28) If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;
(Deu 22:29) Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.
(Exo 35:3) Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.
(Deu 25:2) And it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten before his face, according to his fault, by a certain number.
(Deu 25:3) Forty stripes he may give him, and not exceed: lest, if he should exceed, and beat him above these with many stripes, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee.
(Deu 19:13) Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.
(Deu 19:19) Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
(Deu 22:26) But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter:
(1Co 5:10) Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
(1Co 6:9) Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
(Heb 13:4) Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
(Jas 4:4) Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
(Rev 17:6) And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.