Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Final homebirth kit list.

We are now in the waiting mode for baby to come. I am brushing up, studying last minute home birth material from various books and such. I've also begun last minute herbal, nutritional treatments to keep my iron levels boosted, infections at bay and complications minimal. I have yet to wash some of the baby and mamma items in the list (note that some of the reusable baby and momma items were made from various materials around the home and from thrift stores / garage sales). We are also in the process of moving, so I am taking my time and taking it easy while packing all the items from our small 2 bedroom apartment. My husband is in the middle of schooling and a job/career change so we know it is best to live with his grandparents until we are more financially stable. I can't wait for baby to come!

ReUsable Items:
  • 2 Sets of Sheets and Pillow Cases
  • Plastic Mattress Cover
  • 1 Old Blanket
  • 10 - 23"X36" Underpads
  • 15 Bath Towels
  • 8 Wash Clothes
  • 2 Knee Length Gowns
  • 20 Mum Rags
  • 3 Hot Socks
  • 3 Ice Packs
  • 10 Recieving Blankets
  • 12 Newborn Diapers
  • 1 Undershirt
  • 1 Sleeper
  • 2 Pairs of Socks
  • 2 Knit Caps
  • Feto scope
  • BP Cuff and Stethoscope
  • Thermometer
  • Metal Cord Clamps (Sterilized)
  • Scissors (Sterilized)
  • Baby Scale
  • 3 Pairs of Depends
  • Measuring Tape
  • Crock Pot

Supplies that Get Used Up / Change
  • Superglue - for perineal Tears
  • butterfly bandages - for perineal tears
  • Lavendar Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • List of Phone Numbers
  • Light Snacks (high protein, fruit, chocolate)
  • Herbal Tea w/ Honey
  • Liquid Chlorophyl
  • Chyanne Pepper
  • Shepherd's Purse Tincture
  • Cinnamon
  • Vitamin C
  • B Complex -> Vit B12, Folic Acid
  • St John's Wort oil -> for perineal tears
  • Echinacea for infection prevention
  • grapefruit seed extract
  • ice
  • bulb syringe
  • sterile gloves
  • peri bottles
  • providone
  • a birth certificate
  • witch hazel pads
  • rubbing alcohol
  • plastic garbage bags
  • tylenol
  • Q-tips (for cord care)


Other supplies commonly used everyday and/or luxury
  • Cleaning supply -> Clorox bleach etc.
  • CD Player and CD's or computer and list of music

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay, I'm so excited for you! :-) I usually just ordered the Delux Birthing Kit from Cascade Midwife Supply.

I also liked to rent a digital doppler from BabyBeat.com .

Other than that, I always had full spectrum unrine sticks on hand, and access to a good blood pressure cuff, etc.

I homebirthed my last baby while watching the 5hr BBC version of Great Expectations. We even had a guest for part of the labor, before I "scared" him away, LOL. ;-)

BTW - how's this for funny - the word verification word that I need to type to submit this comment is "mating." ha ha

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

Good luck. I wanted to have my last (who was my last) child , at home . You are so very lucky. Did you remember chap-stick of some sort , my lips always get so very fry during labor .

Be blessed

Songs of Love and Hope