Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Living on 600$ a month.


So the result is back, my husband will not be receiving the unemployment income he was expecting. I am still working at the local nursing home as a nursing assistant part time however. Unfortunately the "money hungry" nursing home where I work is NOT sympathetic at all simply because it is filled with "feminist" 40 hr. work week type women. This gives us about 600 $ a month to live on. We have lived off of this kind of income before so it is nothing new to us.....although it was very upsetting to know that my husband would not be receiving the unemployment income from the former place he worked. However, this time we were some what more prepared because we had saved up a little money in savings.....about 1000$.

As I mentioned earlier that we would be moving. Instead plans have changed. My husband's mother found several people who would be willing to pitch in a little money to help us overcome the monthly rental payment. That being said, we expect to only pay other monthly bills and debt which includes electricity, cellphone, internet/cable, tithe, one credit card, accident health insurance (approx 30$) and for sure tithe (60$ per month). So the total monthly bills comes to about 300$ if minimum payments are made. The remaining 300$ we will be using for needed items.

During this time if we feel we need an item of clothing we will be hitting the garage sales. I can expect to find tops and bottoms for around 0.50 when I am lucky. Also if my ds needs clothing I can also find many pieces of clothing at the garage sales. Furthermore I have many children's patterns and pieces of cloth and yarn on hand to stitch up a few neat outfits.

For food, we have on supply several canned food items which could last us a couple of weeks or so. But my husband, being a picky eater, is not likely to submit to eating leftovers for several meals in a row.....so I need to be creative and ensure that food is rationed enough so that very little is wasted at this time. Also, not only do we have several canned items on hand, we also have a 25 lb bag of flour that can meet much of our bread making needs. With a 10 lb bag of potatoes and frozen vegetables we should be ok when it comes to getting nutrition in our diet.

When we lived off of very little income before we were able to pick up our meal ideas from this very handy menu plan and shopping list. I especially enjoy the breakfast ideas. Although my husband does not eat breakfast on a regular basis, it is nice to know that I can simply take a favorite breakfast and exchange it for a not so well liked lunch or supper plan.

For things such as gas and cosmetic needs.....well, I know that vinegar and baking soda do well as household cleaners and hair products for keeping ones hair looking clean and neat. Gas can be minimalized during this season because work is less than one block away. If we feel we need to take a trip to the grocery store or other down-town businesses I can simply walk instead of taking the car. My ds loves to go for a stroler ride on any nice day.

Not only that, but we are looking forward to vegetables from our garden as the season comes upon us. I know that we should't be receiving any produce until about June, it is nice to know that something will be there.

And most of all during these tough economic times it is important to trust Christ!
Luk 12:27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

No comments:

Songs of Love and Hope