Continuing with the Proverb's 31 series I am going to write about Giving today.
-gives a protion of meat unto her maidens
-stretcheth out her hand to the poor and reacheth forth her hands to the needy
A few times during the year I go through our stuff and give some items to Good Will. I know that at times ungodly items end up infiltrated into our supply items. Mostly because outside family members have given the items to us. For example, I refuse to allow my son to have any vehicle representing a sports car because it will give him the appetite to purchase such an item later in his life. Also, we have had movies and video games that are unprofitable or damaging to our spiritual life and have either had to throw the movies and video games or sell them. Now considering giving......we must be cautious about what we give. In the recent past, I would give anything and everything that is ungodly to Goodwill/used goods store or sell the items. But we as Christians MUST be cautious about this. If we must remove this world of sin and the lusts of the flesh even in giving....we must make sure that we are giving godly items that are commonly needed in the community. If we come across and ungodly item in our supply, it is best to either purge it completely or transform it into something else if all remnant of the labeling and identification of the item can be removed.
As people who live in consumerist United States, as Christians we must use more caution in areas relating to support or giving of idols (1Co 10:19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?) I know we are all imperfect and not as cautious as we should be but here is a list of things to consider when giving:
1. Does the item you are giving have a label (Nike, Sports Team, Popular movie or book title etc.)
2. Does the item support an ungodly holiday (Christmas, Halloween, Valentines Day etc.)
3. Does the item promote in-fashion lifestyle (string camisoles, short shorts, woman's manly clothing)
4. Does the item support living an ungodly lifestyle (television viewing, woman's work suits, specialized sports clothing, inappropriate swimsuits)
So what items are good to give
1. Baby items...many woman married and single need the basic items for baby.
2. Sweaters, sweatshirts, coats, hats and warm clothing
3. Household items for cooking and cleaning and repair
4. Socks, underwear and modest underclothing
5. Men's work clothing.
6. Long woman's/girls dresses and skirts
7. Educational/How-To books that do not portray support of evolution, big bang theory, ungodly religions/holidays etc.
8. Godly Christian books by good Christian authors......often those that are not "popular" are the best.
All in all remember the following verse:
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
God will give us good Godly items if we give good Godly items to others ;)