Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Frugal diapering and equipment

Many think that it costs thousands to raise a baby.....wrong! When my oldest was born it cost under 350$ for used baby equipment and such....that included such unimportant items like a crib. When we rely on God to provide, it is likely that all our needs will be met. In primitive cultures, the baby shares the same sleeping space as the parents so the concept of having a crib is unknown to them.

Overall, I believe the most expensive part when raising a baby is diapering. However, this financial burden is easily overcome with a handy sewing machine, knitting needles and crochet hook. I created an entire stash of diapers (about 30 or so) out of a flannel sheet set from a used goods store for under 10$. Wool soakers were created with wool sweaters from the used clothing stores as well and they work quite well as long as baby is changed frequently. I've also created fitted diapers out of flannel fabric. To create wipes, I bought a set of white terry cloth wash clothes from wal-mart, cut them in quarters, and then sewed around the edges to keep them from fraying in the wash. A solution of olive oil, tea tree oil, vitamin E and warm water is added to a spray bottle for moisture on the wipes. I prefer to keep the moisture out of the wipes until ready to use because mildew often accumulates on the wipes. Cloth diapering can be fun especially if you have a little extra cash on hand and you like to create some fun looking diapers for your baby.

For more information on frugal diapering check out:
http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-index.html
http://www.diaperjungle.com/sewing-cloth-diapers.html

2 comments:

littypod said...

Very nifty, I'll have to keep these ideas in mind.

Anonymous said...

Cloth diapering was certainly a blessing to us. My favorites were Chinese prefolds and Bummis covers. My little girl was a super-soaker, so I also would put a doubler in the diaper. I washed the diapers in homemade laundry detergent. My diaper pail was a tall sealable rubbermade container that I got for 3 dollars. For wipes, I used baby washclothes, which were .99 cents per package, and I sprayed them wet when needed, with a solution of water, with a bit of Diaper Lotion Potion added, or a few drops of baby soap.

Laundering the diapers was a snap. My favorite part was sorting, folding, and putting the diapers away. I found the rediculously relaxing, LOL.

Yay for cloth diapers! :-)

Songs of Love and Hope