Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

When was Christ born?


Although many celebrate Jesus' birth on the 25th of December, it is true that this is an old pagan holiday which once accompanied much wicked practices that were not godly. However, I have family gatherings on this day as I know that many of my relatives and close family members are barely familiar with the Jewish calendar and holy days that are clearly explained in the scriptures. I still love to be around family, but it is difficult to discuss these biblical concepts so I simply discuss them with my husband and other Christians who understand the conservative aspects of scripture.

So when was Christ really born? Can it be determined through scripture? YES IT CAN!! Yay!

To get started it may be wise to make sure that you have an entire understanding of the bible. www.bluletterbible.org is a great place to get started as there are excellent commentaries for each verse of the bible. I used the Thru the Bible program which helped me grasp the major concepts of the bible. This was helpful because I grew up in a liberal Christian home. After you have obtained a good understanding of the bible, it is helpful to understand Jewish culture and festivals. To understand the patterns of the festivals a good grasp on the Jewish calendar is essential. Once that is obtained, it is easy to understand when Jesus was actually born!!

This website explains specific verses and Jewish events that lead up to Christ's birth. It turns out that Jesus was born during the feast of Tabernacles! This event takes place each year in September/October of the Gregorian calendar. It is so fun to study scripture!

No comments:

Songs of Love and Hope