Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Modesty, headcoverings and the controversy


This is a comment I left on veiled glory's blog. Although I have not discussed such "controversial" subjects as wearing dresses and head coverings in the midst of our modern and "educated" society on this blog as of yet, I hope to do so very soon. I made the switch about a year and 1/4 ago and the results of social ostracism and the "loony" look are somewhat startling.... I think it is strange how so many people know the phrase....don't judge a book by its cover.....but yet they continue to do so with or without their apparent understanding of the scripture.


The comment is as follows:

"I too have received "the look". For about a year and 1/4 I have been wearing dresses and coverings. Although some of the coverings I wear are not as apparent or of "a different religion," I know exactly what it feels like to be seen as strange or odd in some way and even loony because I choose not to dress like the rest of our jeans and sweat shirt society.

I have even received a bout of criticism from my own family and they apparently refuse to assist me while my husband is on unemployment and I am the only one working. They feel "the government programs" can help me out. Talk about judgment of someone on the outside rather than on the inside...... Furthermore, I think this partly has to do with the fact that we are choosing not to send our son to public school.

I know what it feels like to be rejected for a piddly piece of cloth on ones head. One never knows how much controversy that can stir up....."

2 comments:

Regina said...

I too have had people stare at me and say mean things like "oh you a legailistc" or say "the hair is the covering"
I'm also a plain woman and African-American. That really confuses people!

Carol Hepburn said...

I too am a plain person who dresses modestly and wears a prayer covering at home for personal worship and devotions. I have also received criticism from family regarding my change to wearing dresses and skirts all the time. I never was immodest in the sense of wearing slinky type items, but it seems that now that I wear humble attire, everyone has some smirk or sad disapproving look for me.

I know about freedom from legalism and I know that I live under grace (PTL!) I know that the Lord has given my hair as my covering, but that my "extra" covering shows Him my submission to my spiritual head (my husband). It is an act of obedience to God -- personal and for His glory.

It is really sad that so many Christian's are offended by a woman wearing really modest clothing. I mean, it would be less offensive if I showed up at church in a mini skirt and tube top. No one would say a thing to me -- but show up in a nice modest (long) skirt or dress and WOW! are you singled out as being weird, fanatical, and legalistic.

Something is clearly wrong with our church today, if religiously devout and sincere woman cannot dress in a way that glorifies God.

Songs of Love and Hope