Featured Post

Introduction

Welcome to the Raggedy Cottage and Garden. As an effort to promote home style creativity and genuine old-fashioned character, I have starte...

Sunday, May 27, 2018

How do I study the bible?

The answer is simply this.

I use a variety of opinion, experiences and resources.

The BEST exegesis offers "raw data" or "directly implied information."

Knowing a few Jewish people can help because of the reality that Jesus came through Abe, Isaac and Jacob.  Knowing some people from the Levant also helps (their ancestors played a role or two or three....in the bible stories).

Anyhow, I grew up under the instruction of Anabaptist types of bible teachings.  Friends and family practiced this faith.  I agree with many aspects of this faith, especially non-resistance and "feed thy enemy"....  Read through -Pilgrim Church- by Broadbent and the TRUTH is revealed about the conditions of suffering the true Church has endured for many centuries.

I went to a Lutheran College.  I do not follow the far-left types of Lutheran beliefs.  I also do not cater to the thinking and things of Martin Luther as some of his understandings of minorities, Jews and religious different people were not good.  Never-the-less when I went to the college I took a basic class which tested my knowledge of the bible.  I received an -A- in that class.  I also took a class that allowed me to understand the Hebrew letters and words.  I received an -A- in that class too.  These things built up some strength in my understanding the bible, despite coming from a "Lutheran" resource.

After college, I went through a FULL DETAILED on-line bible study class.  www.ttb.org.  The speaker was not in favor or understood the concept of Sabbath Day worship, but he did have conservative views.  By the way the Sabbath Day is not a "bad day".....Paul practiced Sabbath Day, Jesus practiced Sabbath Day.  The "Sabbath Day" is mentioned MORE times in the New Testament than the "Lord's Day" (first day of the week).

Later, on I came across a parashah reading method.  This is used in Jewish circles and in messianic faith groups... http://raggedycottagegarden.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-bible-reading-system.html
I use the bible reading method and then "mix it up" a little bit by randomization, so I "test" my scripture knowledge.

Essentially, I make sure I study enough of the bible to get a good understanding from the bible nearly 3 and sometimes more times a day.  Constantly knowing the scripture, builds faith more and more.  Pray through the scripture also helps.  How do I get the "time" to study that much bible?  I know how to manage food supplies to a ration that is reasonable, instead of trying to eat gormet all the time.  Living simple does this.  All in all, it really takes about 1/2 hour a day or so to get a good amount of scripture study.  I don't even consider my self an "expert" student, just a basic upper-level bible study student.

By the way, I do NOT require my children to read this much bible in one day.  Rather, they listen to little bits here and there.  They read "child-size" portions and faith-based articles.  At this stage in their life, there are other things to explore beyond the bible, but hopefully they will decide that "bible-thumpers" aren't so "crazy" after all.

Why read so much bible in a week?  It builds up ideas, strength, encouragement and more......simple as that.

****************

Find more ways to develop greater understanding and rhetorical skills (my grammar in this blog is not always filled with pristine quality) in our demanding world, while still maintaining a strong biblical world-view.  Find a way to build confidence through frugal and effective post-secondary education.  My book may be purchased through amazon.com.  More information found here.

Remnant Education by [Spilde, Laura]



No comments:

Songs of Love and Hope